Autumn is all about comfort food, and when it comes to a quick dinner on a rainy day, there’s nothing more comforting than hearty lentils.
You know it’s a good recipe when your husband gets home from work and eats 2 portions of this dish. This is how it will make you feel when you try it.
This recipe is easy, creamy, and full of amazing,warming spices that will make your belly happy.
Dal has many health benefits, due to lentils and turmeric. It contains high levels of protein, fiber, folate, vitamin B1 and minerals. It helps to lower the cholesterol and helps in managing blood sugar levels. It is also a good source of potassium and iron.
Tumeric it is an amazing spice. I use turmeric especially for the natural detox function of the body cells and the liver’s detoxification.
If you want to know more about all health benefits of turmeric, check out Rhiannon’s blog post.
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 2 1/2 cups of water
- 4 tbsp of powdered coconut milk ( if you don’t have it, you can add 1/2 can of coconut milk)
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2-3 tsp coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- pinch of saffron ( optional)
- fresh parsley or coriander leaves, to garnish
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Rinse the red lentils with cold water.
- In a medium saucepan heat the coconut oil, add the onion and cook til golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Add the lentils and water, bring to a boil and let simmer for 15 minutes. Add turmeric, garam masala and saffron.
- Add coconut milk and mix to combine.
- Let simmer for another 5-10 minutes, until all the liquid is absorbed
- Serve warm, garnished with fresh parsley/ coriander leaves, mixed seeds, and more spices